Friday, November 7, 2008

The Nerf



Last night, I was able to get in a few hours of WoW and let me start by saying I under estimated what people were saying about the raid dungeon's being nerfed. We tackled ZA last night and everything went very smoothly. We died a few times on maybe one or two bosses out of the whole event. I was unable to stay for the last two bosses, but man, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I'm torn on whether this nerfing of instances is a good thing. It didn't seem much of a challenge to me, but then again, I've not been doing anything in WoW for the last 3 months. I do understand the philosophy behind the nerfing. Blizzard wants people to get the gear and enjoy the content they spent months creating and fine tuning before players finally abandon them for the new expansion. Sad that once the expansion hits, a lot of the 70 or below dungeon's won't get much action, but that's the problem with WoW and it's end game mechanics.

I will say I had a great time. Scored two new items for my Warrior Tank and came away from the experience wanting to spend more time back in WoW. Reluctantly, I'm headed to Florida for a few days and will be unable to play till the expansion actually comes out next week. I'll be picking it up upon my return home, but not sure how much time I will be able to spend on it.

As I said before, I'm taking a small break from MMO's. I've not giving up any subs yet, and do like to pop in from time to time to say hello to people, maybe get in a few scenarios or heroic dungeons, but for the most part I've just got too much RL stuff going on right now to cope with long hours of dedicated MMO play. Which is why I love console systems. You can jump in for a few minutes and feel like you've spent hours playing.

I will say that after Lich King, I'll be picking up a few more Xbox titles in the coming months. Dead Space and Gears of War 2 being the main ones. I'm also trying to scrap together some money to finally get a PS3. I hoping to make that purchase right after Christmas this year if everything goes right. Once I accomplish that task, I'll have all three console systems. Then I'll only need to pick up a PSP and I'll have everything covered lol.

But to be honest, I'm more interested in the Blue Ray aspect of the PS3 thanks to Hudson and all his Blu Ray articles. lol I will probably pick up a few games,, like Little Big Planet, Which is looking pretty sweet. Course, once I get the PS3, I'll have to start replacing some of my more favorite titles with Blu Rays like Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2, Matrix Trilogy and a few other visually stunning movies. It will be expensive, but I won't have to replace everything, especially things like Dude, Where's My Car, which is a great movie, but I don't think I need it in Blu Ray. lol

Well, I think that about covers it. My surgery isn't till the first week of December. I'm still not sure how it will turn out and how long I will be a one arm paper hanger, but it's something I have to do in order to get my arm working properly again. Although, I am enjoying the muscle relaxers and hydrocodone the doctor gave me some time back, I would rather not have the pain.

I also found out this week I have sleep apnea, man I am a mess lol. I'll probably be fitted for a Cpap in the upcoming weeks, which won't improve my looks while sleeping for sure. The mask makes you look like strange sci fi creature lol. I pretty much suspected I had it, but need to get it confirmed before I had surgery. They like to know why your not breathing while your sleeping lol.

That pretty much updates everything thats been going on lately. Still enjoying Fable 2 and Fallout 3 when I get the chance. I highly recommend both as I know Bildo and a few others do. Well, I'm out till the release of Lich King. I'm kind of glad that I'm not going to be rushing out to pick that up. I know on release day the servers will be over run with people trying to create Death Knights and blazing through all the new content to reach 80 by the weekend it will be best to stay away from it for a few days till the madness calms down a bit.

Well, this turned out to be a much longer blog than intended. I guess waking up with low blood sugar does have its advantages sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, nerfing. I'm so glad I'm not playing an MMO right now.

    Dead Space is a lot of fun. If my 360 hadn't broken, I'd be playing it now.

    I'd say I'll join you in Fable 2 when my 360 is repaired (more likely replaced), but I wasn't all that impressed with the online co-op when I tried it. It seems designed more for offline co-op (which I'm glad they included).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your surgery. I'm all about scalable raid encounters and rewards so nerfing and easier to get epic items don't really bother me. Its just pretend stats on pretend items with pretty colors anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Thallian. I'm hoping to be out for only a few weeks with the surgery. I will be able to move my wrists so I might be back playing games quicker than I think, but only time will tell.

    I'm not upset at the nerfing per say, but I think they didn't have to tone it down so much. I mean, we romped and stomped in ZA without too much trouble. We even made 3 out of the 4 bosses on the timer for extra loot, which I don't think I ever did before the nerf.

    I just feel sorry for the developers. I mean, they spent so much time getting each boss tweaked to make ever encounter hard and worth all the effort,then they go and turn it into a winnie the pooh ride, just to make sure everyone has gotten a chance at seeing it. I say, don't nerf, but that's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete