Saturday, July 25, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Plot Movie



Last Thursday, the wife and I went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I really enjoyed the movie, except for a bit of the rough dialog, some of the stiff acting and the butchering performed on an outstanding plot as originally told in the book.

Not to say I didn't laugh out loud a during the teen angst or enjoyed all the other parts they hacked up to put in the movie, but still, they should have made this one a two parter as they doing with the last book, because it really deserved that kind of fan service.

All in all the movie is one of my top Harry Potter movies. I just wish the actress playing Ginny, Bonnie Wright, had done a better job. At times I wasn't sure if she was just too stiff or just too scared to act in each scene with Radecliffe. Course, that could have been what the director wanted, who knows.

They jump around a lot, trying to cover as much of the books highlights as possible which at times, seems too much, but still, if they provide an extended version on blu-ray, I'll be picking it up.

One good thing about seeing the movie is that it's finally gotten me to read the last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. So far, its very good, but I'm only a few pages in. I'm sure I will enjoy it just as much as I have the rest of the series.

Over all I would give this movie a B-, but that's just one Dwarf's opinion.

3 comments:

  1. we're going to go see it with the fam next monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book yet, but we saw the movie last night and I have more questions now than I did going in.

    I think this may have been better served by splitting it into two movies like they're doing for Deathly Hallows. I got the distinct impression that way too much info had been cut out, especially for people like myself who've not yet read the book.

    It was so anti-climatic too. The whole deal at the end should have been way more emotional but it was just bada bing, bada boom and it's over. Very clinical. The revealing of who the Half-Blood Prince is was also anti-climatic. During the entire story not enough information was divulged to make me care about who it was because I don't know why they're important other than Harry used his notebook which corrected or improved some recipes and spells. I'm presuming it's a bigger deal or the HBP is more important in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it yet! Don't give away the whole story!...Oh wait...I read the book twice :D

    For some reason I can't get myself excited to go see it. Maybe because it costs money to go out...But more likely because I'd rather be playing games online :D

    ReplyDelete